“Irregardless of the sophistication of culture or an individual’s life….at the centre of everything we know is the matter of seeds.” ~ Sophie Munns
The long association between art and food will make itself real during Fair Food Week this year at Food Connect. Local Brisbane talent, Sophie Munns, will be joining the buzz at our Homestead from Monday, 13 October to Friday, 17 October.
“I’ve been cooking up an idea with Food Connect Brisbane to do a week-long Residency to celebrate and promote the values they hold dear during Fair Food Week being held Australia-wide OCT 10-19 by Australian Food Sovereignty Alliance who likewise do a sensational job unpacking what the hell is happening to food, farmers, supply systems and much more in this country!
This Residency has been on my mind for some time… so I’m looking forward to making it happen.”
1/8 Textile Crescent
Food Connect's Vision is a world where all Australians have access to healthy, fresh, ecologically-grown food that is fair to growers and eaters.
We’re a social enterprise, which means that all our profits go into doing more good. We differ from conventional, profit-driven businesses, in the following ways:
- we work to bring economic, social and environmental benefits to society
- we reinvest all of our trading surplus into fulfilling our mission
Our customers come to us because they want to support a local, connected, embedded, engaged and wealth distributive (not wealth concentrating) food system.
Since the very beginning in 2004 any surplus we've made has been directed to improving business operations to ensure we can deepen our impact. We also support the work of the Food Connect Foundation and the Fair Food Movement. Here are some of the social and environmental impacts our enterprise has achieved over the last eight years:
- 50% of our retail dollar is paid to our farmers (industry average is 10%)
- 1,500 households are fed affordable, nutritious, seasonal food every week
- 45 buyers groups, restaurants, cafes and farmers markets are supplied each week
- 75% of the weekly recommended fruit and vegetable consumption is met by our customers (the Australian average is 38%)
- 1,600 community members have attended our farm tours
- 80 small, family farmers are engaged in our network of suppliers
- 100% of our product range fulfils ecological standards
- Minimal packaging and minimal waste programs reduce our carbon footprint
- 5% of our annual turnover is donated to community groups and food rescue programs
- 22 local people meaningfully employed
- 25% of our staff come from marginalised backgrounds or long-term unemployment
Our Values: Taking a Stand, Fairness, Sharing, Connection, Wellness
Visited 1281 times, 2 Visits today